Thursday, August 26, 2010

Art Appreciation

Lynne will always surprise me. That is a fact.  I almost considered dedicating an entire blog to her thoughts. She wouldn't like that, though. Or would she?

This morning she appeared in the hallway of Grandma's house without warning, scaring me half to death and causing me to question whether or not it's best for her to have a key. I think not. She could appear at any moment! Surprise! Today she rushed over to the house to bestow upon me a gift of untold worth: a stack of about 50 Bed Bath and Beyond coupons and this:


Right? It's fantastic.  I think I will frame it and treasure it always.  I can't decide what is my favorite part, "ETHNIC NEIGHBORHOOD" or the note that Pietro's is closed on Mondays. Oh Aunt Lynne!

And the day gets better with high-caliber artwork...

(Editor's note: I questioned whether not to share this next part. I mean, maybe the decent thing to do is NOT to take pictures of the random things you find around Grandma's house and post them on the internet for all the world to see.  But c'mon...this was just begging for attention.)

So I go to scan Lynne's marvelous map using Grandma's scanner (aka Ken's scanner).  I plug the machine into my laptop, test it out without looking to see if there was anything on the glass, and BAM!

"Remember me?" -Ken.

Yes, yes, yes. Amazing. Feel free to download the image and fill in the blanks as you see fit. Send me your artwork and we'll make a collage entitled "Impossible Expectations."

I think I'm going to love it here.

6 comments:

  1. amazing start joanna...this quickly jumped to my top 5 most liked/visited sites :) That map is freaking hilarious. "Ethnic neighborhood is the best, then the suggestion to "read, walk, sit and feed the birds" at lake murray

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Julia - the command to "read, walk, sit and feed the birds" is certainly the best. It begs all kinds of questions: Must you enjoy the lake only by these means? must you perform these actions in that precise order? What happens if you lie down instead of sit or neglect to feed birds?

    btw - did Lynne forget that you lived in San Diego for two years? She did, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hold the phones! I just saw the dead center notation "Scale Off." PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THAT. Otherwise you severely risk miscalculating distance and location. Whew, that was a close one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention that Lynne suggested all other possibilities for Lake Murray adventures, etc, in her 30 minute presentation of her map. It was delightful and very informative, in a neurotic sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever met a "working girl?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, Joanna! Best read of my week....thank you. My favorite part of Lynne's map: "8 EAST TO BINGO @ RES." I suggest you go with her to play sometime. It will give you lots to write about! Kevan and I did this with her years ago. It was a pretty fun day!

    ReplyDelete